Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Election next year?

Reading the BBC News website this morning, I found this article about the possibility of Gordon Brown calling a snap election when he becomes prime minister. The Lib Dems have reshuffled their front bench in preparation. The election could be as soon as next October.

Labour's rivals are eyeing the possibility of a snap general election, when Tony Blair steps down next year.

The Liberal Democrats have reshuffled their front bench, and appointed a manifesto chairman, to put them on an election footing.

They believe there could be an election as early as October 2007.


October 2007 is only 10 months away. I, however, will have my own issues to deal with. I would have just started my second year at uni. I probably would not have got round to getting my postal vote sent to the right address yet.

Over on Conservative Home, commenters on this article are thinking about the possibility of the election being as early as May (to coincide with the local elections?). This is even more of a dodgy situation for me to be in as that will be just before my exams. I will be far more concerned with revising (this year does actually count towards my degree, even if it is only 10%) than I will with voting. No doubt also that there will be many opportunities to go campaigning with my CF branch.

Either way, this next year could be a very interesting one politically. I'm predicting a small majority (single figures) to the Conservatives - or is this just wishful thinking?

Commitments at uni aside now, maybe I should rethink my 11 year plan I came up with last Saturday in Battersea on the grounds that I got the dates wrong. I think it should be the 13 year plan now.

1 Comments:

At 19/12/06 23:17, Blogger Andrew Allison said...

A snap election would favour Brown, as the boundary commission changes will not be in place, and that gives him a head start.

I got your link from the comment you made on PT's blog. I've put a link on mine for you.

Andrew

 

Post a Comment

<< Home