Saturday, October 28, 2006

Top-up fees debate on BBC1 tomorrow

Regular readers will know that I passionately disagree with top-up fees and am supporting the Admission Impossible campaign. I will be going to London on a protest tomorrow with 200 other students from Warwick and thousands of students from across the country. This is because the government is thinking about lifting the £3000 cap on tuition fees in 2009, therefore students will end up in even more debt than we are in currently. This could then cause many more young people to not want to go to uni - admissions for 2006 were down by approximately 17,000 compared to 2005 (the last year of the old fees system). That is the equivalent to our entire student population at Warwick.

It is scary for me to think about as, if the cap is lifted in 2009, I may be prevented from following my dreams as I will not be able to afford to continue my study and gain a PhD (which I will need if I want to get to the top of physics research). This is just my personal case. Many others will be affected too.

As well as going on the protest, I will be on TV tomorrow lunchtime. On Wednesday this week, the BBC came to our campus and filmed 4 of us in a debate about top-up fees. I know that 4 people cannot be truly representative of everyone else and also that the 4 of us were chosen for being against higher fees but there was a definite consensus of opinion. You can watch the debate between 12:30pm and 1pm on the Politics Show in the West Midlands region (or on Sky channel 970-something elsewhere in the country).

1 Comments:

At 30/10/06 19:00, Blogger Man in a Shed said...

Before you pay out for a PhD - I highly recommend the following cartoon site Piled Higher and Deeper - the latest cartoon is here - but I recommend the introduction web page.

I'm an Engineer and in the past returned to University to do a PhD and I can say that these cartoons tell the real story of Grad Student life.

The only sad part is that they are only really funny to other ex-Grad Students.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home