Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Can democracy function without the truth?

I have just finished reading a book called "The Rise of Political Lying" by Peter Oborne. I found it very interesting and have decided to analyse the situation myself.

One of the chapters in this book, "Why do politicians lie", I thought I could answer in just three words - to get elected - but Oborne gives some good analysis in far more detail. This I shall not go into but I will confess that the whole time I was reading the book I was thinking that dishonest politicians are the reason that our democracy is in such a mess. One of the biggest fundamentals, in my opinion, of democracy is the need to make an informed choice given the facts. Not being in possession of the facts denies us this right (as Oborne explains throughout the book - something that really got me thinking).

I will make it clear now that I do not claim some kind of moral high ground here. I myself have been dishonest for the very reason given above. I stated in a recent manifesto that I had been actively involved in the organisation of Go Green Week when at the time I had only been to one meeting. I had done very little for the organisation of Go Green Week, though would have done more had I not gone down with a bad case of the flu so I guess I can be excused. I had taken something and exaggerated the situation to sound better.

Despite my own dishonesty, I believe that democracy cannot function properly without the truth. How can some average guy on the street make an informed decision on any issue without hearing the facts from all sides of the arguement. Without the facts, we cannot be properly informed. This, I believe, is the root of all political lying. If Tom, Dick and Harry (or should that be Sarah, Mohammed and Abdul in today's equal opportunities obsessed society?) knew everything then most of our MP's would be out of the job at the next election. It is in the average politician's best interests to be economical with the truth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home