Wednesday, December 27, 2006

2006 in the world

I can't believe it is nearly 2007. I have decided to list the highlights of 2006 in the news and provide my analysis where appropriate.

January saw Charles Kennedy's resignation as leader of the Lib Dems. I liked him but thought that it was not a good idea to have a drunk in a position where there was a possibility (albeit very small) he could run our country.

Since then, the Lib Dems seem to have disappeared off the map. This takes me on to May and the local elections. I was happy to see gains for the Conservatives and losses for Labour - of course I hope to see the same in 2007.

The next day Charles Clarke was sacked following the foreign prisoners scandal in the Home Office. John Prescott lost his job without losing his title or salary following an affair with his secretary.

If I remember rightly, it was either April or May when Patricia Hewitt said that the NHS was having its best ever year. Hmmm, not quite!

An ongoing news story for 2006 was the cash for peerages investigation. Lord Levy was arrested and Tony Blair was questioned by police (though not under caution). You can see my analysis of this here.

In other news, the education bill was only approved thanks to Tory votes, the House of Commons rejected calls for an inquiry into the Iraq war, Princess Diana died in a car crash, Tessa Jowell left her family to spend more time with the cabinet, Saddam Hussein was sentenced to death, Russian spy Alexander Litvenyenko (is that how you spell his name?) died from radiation poisoning, and the Hungarian prime minister admitted to lying about the economy during an election campaign.

Finally, Tony Blair announced in September that he would resign within the year. My metaphorical money (I don't believe in gambling) is on May 4th 2007.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home