Friday, December 29, 2006

2007 - hopes and predictions

With another year about to begin, I have made a list of things I would like to see and expect to see in the next twelve months.

I've missed the political activism over my holidays but hope to get back into it soon. Term 2 will most likely see many campaigning days with my CF branch in the run up to the local elections next May.

The first big event of 2007 for me will not be my return to uni in January or my much dreaded analysis exam. I was talking to some friends in November and they only went and suggested that I stand for Union officer next year. I thought they meant next academic year but they meant next calendar year. I've taken their advice and decided to stand so I guess it's fingers crossed between now and February.

Another thing that it is normal to do at the end of term 2 of year 1 is to get onto society execs. I definitely plan to stand for UWCA but have a couple of others that I am considering.

My Easter holidays will be a spiritual time for me. I have booked a week on the island of Iona and am really looking forward to going.

Term 3 will start at the end of April and will be the time that I start thinking about exams.

A couple of news events now. I've had my fingers crossed for some friends for a while now who are standing in the local elections next year in Leamington. I have my money on the next day, May 4th, being the day that Tony Blair resigns. I'm expecting Gordon Brown to be the next PM and think it is quite likely that John Reid will be the deputy.

As a non-smoker I am really looking forward to July 1st as that is when the smoke ban in England will start. I really can't wait for when I can go out and not come back smelling of other people's smoke.

Sadly, however, it is not all going to be good in 2007. I'm not expecting an end to reality TV and actually think that we will yet again see the X Factor winner as Christmas number one.

I'm hoping that next year will be another good year for the Conservatives in the opinion polls and I am expecting more of the same from Labour. I mean that there will be more re-announcing policies from years ago as new ideas, more promising the same money three times over, and yet more scandals. It could be a really interesting year politically, not to mention the possibility of there being a general election as early as next October.

Last but not least, if I have got my dates right, sometime in the first half of 2007 will see there only being ten years left in which to do all the things on the list I made in December 2006. I have a rough idea of what order I need to do them in but I'm hoping that 2007 is when I start doing the stuff that doesn't need a huge amount of commitment. Sometimes I wonder if I have enough time to fit it all in but I am definitely looking forward to the challenge.

Here's to 2007 being a really good year for all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home