Wednesday, September 20, 2006

What is the point of open primaries?

Out in the blogosphere today are many postings on the upcoming Battersea Open Primary, particularly on Guido's and Dizzy's blogs. As I have understood it, correct me if I am wrong - we don't have open primaries in my constituency, anyone registered to vote in the entire constituency is allowed to vote for who they want to be the Tory candidate at the next election.

Why? I see this as suicide on the part of the Tories. I can see that there will be a lot of tactical voting for whoever will be the best opponent - similar, in my opinion, to the Tories for Gordon campaign.

I have nothing against making candidate selction more democratic but I think that this is a step too far. Maybe a better option would be to only allow Tory members in that constituency to vote.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home